Hello there, Internet. It's been a while.
Since we last spoke, I had surgery, discovered that I did not have a nasty, life-changing disease, moved to another country while still recovering from aforementioned surgery, began graduate school, and discovered the joys of David Weber's Honor Harrington books. Oh, and a universe was destroyed and remade, but we'll save that discussion for another time when I can discuss it more fully.
Anyway, as it is not yet February, a quick post about some of my personal favorites of the year 2011 seems appropriate. Let us begin!
- Favorite Album of 2011: Something Fierce by Marian Call. (Available for listening and purchase here). I love this album. I really, really do. Marian Call is an Anchorage based singer/songwriter (which may or may not make me biased) with a folk/ blues style. This album flows very well and has a variety of sort of song in it. Some of my favorite songs from it: "Coffee by Numbers," "E.S.B," "Dear Mister Darcy," and "Anchorage." And let me add, this was a year in which both Kamelot and Nightwish came out with great new albums. Two of my favorite bands. And this one was my favorite.
- Favorite Book of 2011: Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson.
- Favorite Superhero Film of 2011: Captain America: The First Avenger. Like good books and good albums, several good superhero movies came out last year. My runner-up is probably Thor, but Cap, silly scenes included, was my personal favorite. Chris Evans did an amazing job and this was a really well made movie.
- Favorite Video Game of 2011: Portal 2. Portal was an amazing puzzle game with an unexpectedly dark plot and background and this sequel is a great follow up. While Aperture Science's benign facade is gone from the very beginning of this game, there are still secrets to uncover and witty robots to face. And a great ending.
- Favorite Anime of 2011: My Ordinary Life
Super-geniuses drink milk!
That's all for now! Have some favorites of your own to share? Feel free to leave a comment!